Thank you from York University Nursing students. We have been greatful, and enjoyed being with you this year at the New Mom Project. During the year we received a lot of feedback from the mothers who came to New Mom Project, and as a community support we have found some solutions for your requests. Thank you all the information you gave us about your experience and about your needs.
What supports would help you more? This question gave us many responses. Mothers we spoke to are looking for housing support, and social groups. To resolve these needs we found options that are offered to the public:
- Register for Recreation programs at your nearest Civic centre
- EarlyON child centre
- Subsidized Childcare
- Visit Homelesshub.ca for information
- Fife House (for men)
- Jessie Centre (for women)
- Housing Connections
- Local Health Integrated Network- Health Care Services (choose your location on the map)
- Essential Skills Upgrading– English, Math, Reading
Above are links for child care, housing, health, and education.
While being at New Mom Project we gathered some data about what clients had to say about quality, and availability at New Mom Project; and their experience being a new mom.
- Mothers rated their experience at New Mom Project from 1-10, and we got an average rating being 9.5
- Mothers asked that their be more availability of clothing for ages 6 and up, more 18-24 months clothing, high chairs, double strollers, potties, school bags, cribs, and blankets
- Mothers rated their experience being a new mom in Canada from 1-10 as being 7.5
- Mothers are happy that the New Mom Project has decided to have an appointment system
- Mothers would like to see more Jackets, Boots, Gloves, and Hats for the winter season, and earlier in the year
- Mothers need support finding jobs and financial support
- Mothers who are immigrants/refugees want more work opportunities
We found barriers regards to education, but having guest speakers can fill that gap. Guest speakers that could come in to discuss breastfeeding, counseling, time management, work skills, and jobs.
We had a lot of fun! We had a lot of chances to speak publicly to ask mothers about their family. Our time at Jansens Johnsons and Johnson was excellent, and donating gifts to people downtown was a lot of fun. Thank you for having us Janice, Emma, and Gwen. Happy Holidays!
Janice Kienapple and Emma Curtis